Monday, April 1, 2024

In Defense of Disgusting Alleys

Actually There Is No Defense

2000 block of Moravian.


I've clearly spent too much time in Philadelphia's alleys. Now the dumpsters are talking to me. This one is saying Don't Gentrify My Alley.

I always just assumed that the dumpsters would prefer a snug, secure little space out of the weather and away from the rats.

I understand that the garbage haulers like things the way they are. After all, it's easier for them. And I understand that many of the business owners prefer to treat their garbage literally as an externality and stow it out in the commons, aka the alley. But I never expected the dumpsters to line up with the bosses.

It's not like anybody treats them very nicely or shows them respect. Does anybody ever wash a dumpster?  And yet this dumpster has clearly drunk the Kool-Aid.

Oh well. Despite the massive opposition arrayed against me, I will continue my crusade to turn every alley in Philadelphia into a clean, well-lighted place. But I think I'll start in the 1400 or 1700 block of Moravian. That dumpster in the 2000 block scares me.

Back in 2018 I ran a story entitled Streets Without Joy, which was largely a rant against razor wire but also encouraged the 1800 block of Cypress, which was neat and clean and dull, to think of some color. Here's a parking pad in that block today.


It doesn't take a lot. People just have to care.

See also A Few Deft Touches for Back Streets, Small Streets Are Like Diamonds, This Isn't Just Any Alley, My New Favorite Alley, Alleys, What Should We Do With the Humble Dumpster?

No comments:

Post a Comment