Tuesday, December 24, 2019

What a Nice Present!

I'm a Pushover for Zebra Stripes

December 23, 2019.

I'd been aware of it, but I hadn't seen it until yesterday, when I went to the Christmas Village in Love Park. And there it was, at the northeast corner of the park, at the intersection of 15th and Arch. My wife got French soap, and I got a new crosswalk! Also a greatly expanded raised concrete island.

The crosswalk runs across 15th Street just south of Arch. For many years there was no crosswalk here. There was a little stick man on a post, with a diagonal red line running across him. People crossed here anyway; presumably they thought that it was illegal for little stick men to cross, but okay for humans.

Below is what this intersection looked like in 2015. All the cars on Arch headed toward us must turn right on to 15th Street - the 1400 block of Arch is one-way westbound. Then there's the exit from the Love Park garage. By the way, the white stripes on 15th Street where the crosswalk should be are lane markers.

2015.

There are a lot of other things that could be done to improve the general level of sanity in the streets around Love Park - and also City Hall and the Municipal Services Building. And in fact I've heard some quiet rumbling that further improvements may be in the offing.

But you know what? It's the holidays. I'm in a good mood, and I'm thrilled to stumble across a change on our streets that I think is an unalloyed good thing. My thanks go out to those who were involved in this project.

Kudos!

See also Crossing 15th Street, Love Park Garage: Close the 15th Street Exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment