Friday, August 14, 2026

Hollow Man Still Standing

I think there is a level on which Donald Trump knows he is falling apart. But what would that look like?What would he be thinking? I've been wondering about this for a while, and then recently I was reading a remarkable new novel about a wealthy, aristocratic Hungarian family in the first half of the twentieth century, a time, shall we say, of considerable stress and uncertainty - or shall we just say chaos. At any rate, the baron who heads the family, a fairly young man with teenage children, starts to feel he's simply falling apart under the pressure. Here's what the author thinks that looks like: 

"The baron was like a madman who realises his mind is slipping away but can do nothing about it. He sensed himself falling to pieces inside and checked his most routine actions for signs of neglect. 

"If, for example, he realised that he had uttered a word with insufficient clarity because his tongue was too lethargic, the next time he took particular care to articulate this word cleanly, only to stumble over another. If he was lost in thought, he often forgot things, such as replacing the cap on the fountain pen. The more he resisted his decline, the faster it appeared to proceed. For this reason the ignorance of others was the only thing still keeping him together. While this continued, his decline remained something that could be hidden and hushed up." 

- Nelio Biedermann, Lazar p. 166. This book was published in German in 2025, and the English translation came out in early 2026. 

As an aside, some time ago I read Joseph Roth's The Radetzky March, and just recently I read Antal Szerb's Journey by Moonlight. Both of these books are literary landmarks, and each of them deepened, in its own way, my understanding of the former Austro-Hungarian empire. But if I had time to read only one book, it would be Biedermann's Lazar.

See also The Man Who Would Be King, The Democrats Need to Fight the War, Deja Vu All Over Again, The 800-Pound Gorilla in the Oval Office, What Can Pierre Laval Tell Us About Donald Trump? 


No comments:

Post a Comment