Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Something Good Happened

Perhaps a While Ago


This is a picture of the intersection at the eastern foot of the South Street bridge, South and 27th, and, if you turn right hard enough, you're on Schuylkill Avenue. You'll notice a sign at the upper left, which says No Turn on Red.

For many years there was no such sign here. In August 2017 I wrote a story explaining why putting a No Turn on Red sign here would be a good idea. (See No Turn on Red: Vision Zero Meets the South Street Bridge.) The short version: There were lots and lots of near misses at this intersection.

And then things like Covid happened, and I stopped thinking about the eastern foot of the South Street bridge.

And then, a few weeks ago, I was walking around on the bridge (I'm now thinking of doing another story about the bridge, and these stories invariably involve a lot of walking around and standing and looking, and occasionally, when I get lucky, sitting and looking), and I noticed the sign.

I have no idea when the sign went up, and I have no idea if my article had any influence on the thinking of the Streets Department. But I do like to praise people when they do a good deed, even if the praise is belated. So, Philadelphia Streets Department, kudos and thank you!

See also Put Traffic Lights on the Schuylkill ExpresswayNo Turn on Red, Morning on Lombard StreetIs It a Curve or Is It a Turn? What a Nice Present!

No comments:

Post a Comment