Tuesday, July 26, 2022

A Message from Philly

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned

A voice from my neighborhood.


I'd been thinking that it would be up to the elites, who continue to vacillate between defending the Constitution and moving to a fascist state that they think they could control.

Now I'm not so sure. The furor over the Supreme Court's strangulation of Roe v. Wade seems to be running deeper than I expected. But then I'm a man, and I know I have my blind spots. 

The deep misogyny of the fascists has, of course, been obvious for years. But the actual stripping of people's rights is a more recent phenomenon. 

Peter Thiel has his followers - he's the fellow who decided that democracy and freedom are incompatible. (See this story in the New Yorker.) So he probably won't mourn the loss of the Constitution.

But maybe we don't need him. 

Maybe the real power rests with the people. And in this case the people are women, and men who like women. A majority? I think so.

Will it be enough? I don't know. But I'm feeling better about it than I did a few weeks ago.

One last thought: If Peter Thiel is the best our elites have to offer, they are in serious trouble.

See also Fascism, The Real Parallels Are With Weimar, Greed Is Not Good. It Is a Mortal Sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment