Friday, September 28, 2018

Taming Chestnut Street

The Limits of Enforcement

Chestnut Street, shortly after 10 a.m. Parking lane to the right.

Here's an email I sent to Mayor Kenney yesterday.

September 27, 2018

Dear Mayor Kenney,

Thank you for your initiative to improve traffic flow on Chestnut Street in Center City and also on Market Street east of City Hall.

I am convinced that enforcement alone will not do the job. In fact, as the various enforcement agencies see that their efforts are ineffective, and they quietly lose interest in the project, I think we could easily wind up in a worse situation than the one we started from. However, I do think the problem can be solved.

A few years back, the City took a lot of the parking spaces on Chestnut and turned them into loading zones - but only until 10 a.m., when they become regular 2-hour parking spaces. If you want to move delivery vehicles out of the bus lane, you need to give them places to go. And I think one very feasible solution would be to extend the hours of the loading zones that are already there.

Here's a story on Chestnut Street that I wrote a while ago.

Sincerely,

Bill West

No comments:

Post a Comment